Blue and Sentimental: Episode 05
Episode 05!! Tonight's episode is another special one!
Tonight's episode celebrates the work of Bill Evans. Evans, one of the most celebrated jazz pianists of all time led an incredible, storied career from his first arrival in New York City in 1955. Famously, Bill Evans joined Miles Davis' sextet in 1958 and had a profound influence. He was the pianist on Miles Davis' masterwork Kind of Blue, a trailblazing work in modal jazz. After leaving Davis' sextet in 1959, Evans began a career as a band leader of his own. He started the storied Bill Evans Trio with bassist Scott LaFaro and drummer Paul Motian and together, they are widely regarded as a seminal modern jazz trio.
The songs I have selected include some of Bill Evans' most famous and well-known and some of my personal favorites. Tonight, I am joined by a special guest: a jazz aficionado, audiophile, and one of my best friends, Pearson Buck.
I have made my selections for tonight's show available on playlists on two streaming platforms: Apple Music and Spotify. To access the playlist in Spotify, please click here. To access the playlist in Apple Music, please click here.
Thank you for listening and I hope you tune in next week!
- 8:55pm Alone Together by Chet Baker on Chet (Keepnews Collection) (Concord Music Group)
- 9:01pm Emily (Live) by Bill Evans on Consecration, Volume 1 (Timeless Records)
- 9:14pm My Foolish Heart (Live) by Bill Evans Trio on The Complete Village Vanguard, 1961 (Live) (Concord Music Group)
- 9:19pm Waltz for Debby (Take 2) by Bill Evans Trio on Waltz for Debby (Concord Music Group)
- 9:27pm Skating in Central Park by Bill Evans & Jim Hall on Undercurrents (Blue Note Records)
- 9:29pm Beautiful Love (Take 1) by Bill Evans Trio on Explorations (Fantasy, Inc.)
- 9:35pm I'm Getting Sentimental Over You by Bill Evans & Jim Hall on Undercurrents (Blue Note Records)
- 9:37pm Nardis by Bill Evans Trio on Explorations (Fantasy, Inc. )
- 9:45pm Elsa by Cannonball Adderlay & Bill Evans on Know What I Mean? (Fantasy, Inc.)
- 9:52pm But Beautiful by Stan Getz & Bill Evans on Stan Getz & Bill Evans (Verve Label Group)
- 9:59pm Danny Boy by Bill Evans & Shelly Manne on Empathy (The Verve Music Group)
- 10:05pm Porgy (I Love You Porgy) [Outtake] by Bill Evans Trio on Waltz for Debby (Concord Music Group)
- 10:12pm If You Could See Me Now by Bill Evans Trio on Moon Beams (Fantasy, Inc.)
- 10:19pm We'll Be Together Again by Tony Bennett & Bill Evans on The Tony Bennett / Bill Evans Album (Fantasy, Inc)
- 10:24pm Gloria's Step (Live - Take 2) by Bill Evans Trio on Sunday at the Village Vanguard (Fantasy, Inc.)
- 10:26pm Re: Person I Know by Bill Evans Trio on Moon Beams (Fantasy, Inc. )