Blue and Sentimental: Episode 04
Episode 4!! Tonight's episode is a really special one. The theme for the show tonight is highlighting jazz's impact and influence in hip-hop/rap. From its nascent development in its earliest days, hip-hop & rap's influences are deeply rooted in jazz. As more artists developed their sound and artistry and sampled records from a multitude of genres such as soul, funk, and more, the dawn of hip-hop's golden age entered the culture with a roar and has remained hugely popular. In fact, hip-hop has only grown in popularity over the years and, in 2017, surpassed rock as the most popular genre in the United States.
Tonight's selections include both some of the most iconic samples in hip-hop as well some of my personal favorites. Some of the artists that will be played tonight are The Roots, A Tribe Called Quest, Joey Bada$$, The Pharcyde, Madlib, J Dilla, Kendrick Lamar, and more.
I will be joined with a very special guest tonight: a filmmaker, music connoisseur in his own right, and one of my best friends Caleb d'Oleire!
If you are interested in listening to any of the songs from tonight's show, I have made it available on both Spotify and Apple Music. Please click here for the playlist on Spotify. Please click here for the playlist on Apple Music.
Thank you for tuning in and hope to see you back next Thursday night at 9 PM for another special episode!
- 8:49pm Jazz (We've Got) by A Tribe Called Quest on Low End Theory (Zomba Recordings), �J
- 9:02pm For Free (Interlude) by Kendrick Lamar on To Pimp a Butterfly (Aftermath/Interscope Records/Top Dawg Entertainment)
- 9:09pm Summer in the City by Quincy Jones on You've Got it Bad Girl (A&M Records)
- 9:12pm Passin' Me By by The Pharcyde on Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde (The Bicycle Music Company)
- 9:16pm Lonely Fire by Miles Davis on Big Fun (Sony Music Entertainment), �J
- 9:23pm Suicidal Thoughts by The Notorious B.I.G. on Ready to Die (Bad Boy Records)
- 9:25pm Red Clay by Freddie Hubbard on Red Clay (CTI Records 40th Anniversary Edition) (Sony Music Entertainment)
- 9:33pm Sucka N***a by A Tribe Called Quest on Midnight Marauders (Zomba Recording)
- 9:35pm So Far To Go (feat. Common and D'Angelo) by J Dilla on The Shining (BBE)
- 9:39pm Joints & Jam by The Black Eyed Peas on Behind the Front (Interscope Records)
- 9:42pm Jay Dee 33 (Instrumental) by J Dilla on The King of Beats (Batch #4) (Yancey Media Group)
- 9:45pm They Reminisce Over You by Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth on Mecca And The Soul Brother (Rhino)
- 9:46pm Dillalude #2 by Robert Glasper Experiment on Black Radio Recovered - The Remix EP (Blue Note Records)
- 9:52pm Waves by Joey Bada$$ on 1999 (Cinematic Music Group)
- 10:02pm Robes (feat. Domo Genesis & Earl Sweatshirt) by Freddie Gibbs & Madlib on Piñata (Madlib Invazion)
- 10:05pm Mellow My Man by The Roots on Do You Want More?!!!??! (DGC Records)
- 10:11pm SpottieOttieDopaliscious by OutKast on Aquemini (LaFace Records)
- 10:19pm untitled 05 I 09.21.2014 by Kendrick Lamar on untitled unmastered (Aftermath / Interscope )